Manuscripts Don't Burn

YouTube Episode 2: Attack of the Cloned Comedy

Great comedy. That's what this post is about, because not all comedy is created equal. This clip is one of my favourites, and literally kept me laughing out load when I first heard it. Of course, Black Books is a favourite of mine, so I am slightly bias towards the peculiar misanthropy of the Irish bookseller, but regardless, I think the clip, with or without knowledge or appreciation of the series holds up pretty well on its own. What do I love about this clip? To be honest, I think a lot of it is about the camera work. And the fact that it's not some kind of rehashed joke in a slightly different setting (a la Little Britain series 1 + 2, or all of those terrible Catherine Tate shows, or anything like that. For me, sketch shows have a very limited range. The Fast Show was probably the greatest sketch show of recent time, and now I believe it's time for a return to the truly hilarious sitcom. Fawlty Towers is still in my mind the greatest series ever produced in comedic history, and I think a return to sitcom roots, with more of a focus on edgy laughs rather than cheap family chuckles is what we need to be aiming for. So, with that in mind, I recommend Black Books, and here is the clip of the day.





P.S. Why is it that almost no one can be a good stand-up AND a good charachter in a series/contestant in a gameshow/presenter of a TV program, etc? For my mind, the only person who really does this is Bill Bailey, and possibly Russel Brown, who is excellent on radio, but pretty rubbish on TV. His standup is first class though. SImiliarly, Noel Fielding may be an absolute legend in the Boosh, but when it comes to working the stage at the Comedy Store...he's just not good. Comments?

P.P.S. Ol, if you don't watch Question Time then my last post might not have made a huge amount of sense, but basically the show next week is being produced by sixth-formers, and one of the pannelists (the one who is slected by the public based on the merit of the videos they have produced which you can find in the link) will be an ordinairy member of the public aged 18-22 I think.

Labels: ,

posted by danny @ 08:23,

3 Comments:

At 30 June 2007 at 17:06, Blogger olileauk said...

That black books sketch wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. You're right about comedians being crap on TV or standup if they do the other though.

Also, I don't watch TV much/at all, hence why i was confuzzlified by your last blog.

 
At 2 July 2007 at 08:13, Blogger Unknown said...

Rodrigo is offering you shirts too!

The price of fame... Say hey to him for me though. Maybe hit him with a shoe.

 
At 3 July 2007 at 04:00, Blogger danny said...

I feel so honoured

 

Post a Comment

<< Home